Rafael Nadal aims for honesty and transparency in Netflix documentary

Rafael Nadal
Rafael NadalFRANCK FIFE / AFP

Tennis great Rafael Nadal said on Wednesday he sought to be "transparent" and "honest" in his forthcoming Netflix documentary series, speaking to AFP at a preview event ahead of its release.

The series from the streaming giant will be available from May 29, during the French Open - the Grand Slam tournament where the Spaniard forged his legend with a record 14 titles.

"I believe it's a genuine documentary that doesn't paint everything in rosy colours, and combines my sporting career with the difficulties I have faced," Nadal told AFP shortly before the screening of the first of four episodes in Madrid.

"I think I've been quite transparent about my life and everything that has happened to me. I've been honest, and it's my story," added the undisputed king of clay, who won 22 Grand Slam titles over a career spanning more than 20 years before retiring at the end of 2024.

The documentary was filmed during that final season, "while I was still playing, trying to come back from injury and hip surgery," he said.

"And I didn't succeed. I tried to stay competitive, but I couldn't get back to 100 percent. That whole process was filmed: the doubts, the uncertainty, and then acceptance of the situation."

Asked whether it was important for him to tell that difficult final chapter, Nadal replied: "Not necessarily, but I have people around me that I trust who convinced me to do it - people who have been successful in this industry and perhaps had a broader view of my career."

"I followed their advice and here we are. I hope people will like it," added Nadal, who bid a tearful farewell last year to Roland Garros, where a mark of his footprint is carved into the clay on Court Philippe Chatrier.